An Update From The Author: Saying I'm not an advocate of relationships was probably misleading. To satisfy your curiosity of my personal view on the subject matter, direct yourself to "The End.," the last post written in February 2011. (This also entails the purpose of this literature as a whole.)
A Second Update From Your Author (6 March 2012): This is becoming an aspiration to define the term "love." An aspiration because it is that very thing I find hard to describe with words. But every then and again I come across someone who achieves to do so to some extent. You can find these quotes I call fancy structures of words in "special entries."

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Guys That Write


I suppose I should begin with the reason for me having started this blog in the first place. On a flight to [undisclosed location], I spent a considerable amount of time staring at the passenger sitting directly in front of me. Now, however creepy that may sound, I should clarify that I never seen the face of this mysterious character.


When I'm not getting shut eye aboard a commercial plane, I stare out at the windows that separate me and the wing. (Yes, I always choose the seat beside a window in the middle of the cabin for this reason.) Oh, the view is always pleasant as well. If you're lucky enough to have options for departures, I recommend choosing a time between four o'clock and five o'clock (assuming you're traveling north for about two hours.) You get to depart with the sun still out, catch a sunset mid-flight, and soar above a grid of lights just before landing.


Anyhow, on this particular day when I woke from a nap and stared out of the window ahead of me, I realized the passenger sitting next to it had his overhead light switched on. The result was the transformation of the window into a mirror and the first thing I caught a glimpse of was a pen gripped in a male's hand that danced across a page. My curiosity convinced myself to watch the reflections until I was sure of the character's deeds.

Was it a college student attempting to complete an assignment before a deadline? An artist inspired by the ambiance of commercial flying? Unfortunately, we'll never know. Or shall I say fortunately? For it ended up being an average Joe writing in a leather journal and honestly, I rather not know exactly what it was he wrote. Here was proof that penmanship is alive.

Amidst all of the technology—laptops, smartphones, tablets, etcetera—here was a guy with a pen. So vintage!

To be fair, this isn't the only male I've come across that had penmanship. I once knew a guy who I exchanged writing letters with during my first semester in college. Frankly, it was I that asked him to do so but he did without question. They were short, sweet and literally pieces of art. In fact, so nice that I have them kept tucked under the cover of my own leather journal. Ironic.



I should note that the other reason for me starting a blog, which is bizarre if you know me, is because I believe a routine will keep me sane. And guiltily, thinking about all of the past situations I've been in makes me feel as if I'm still a part of those situations. Those situations that I currently lack at this point.

Ideally I would like to be rambling about these things that appeal to me on a weekly basis. (I promise to reveal the more offbeat ones at a later time.) And I wish to include more creative visuals. (Currently I lack the resources.) For now, this is number one.

No comments: