An Update From The Author: Saying I'm not an advocate of relationships was probably misleading. To satisfy your curiosity of my personal view on the subject matter, direct yourself to "The End.," the last post written in February 2011. (This also entails the purpose of this literature as a whole.)
A Second Update From Your Author (6 March 2012): This is becoming an aspiration to define the term "love." An aspiration because it is that very thing I find hard to describe with words. But every then and again I come across someone who achieves to do so to some extent. You can find these quotes I call fancy structures of words in "special entries."

Monday, March 5, 2012

expectations : possess :: reality : resemble

What we seek, at the deepest level, is inwardly to resemble, rather than physically to possess, the objects and places that touch us through  their beauty.
I read this ten times over in The Architecture of Happiness. (Guilty of starting this piece of literature after its starring role in the overly mentioned film (500) Days of Summer.) In section IV "Ideals of Home", author Alain de Botton finds purchasing something found as beautiful to be the "most unimaginative way of dealing with the longing it excites in us."  He then generalizes the statement with being in possession of something. (And yes, it took me over a year to get to page 152.)

I believe it not only applies to objects and places, but people as well.


Several times growing up I read and was told that when you fall in love with someone, often times you unconsciously pick up their habits. I can say on several accounts I'm guilty and I've witnessed the phenomenon several times with an older sibling. That is to say, I'm sure it happens to the most of us. Perhaps we are seeking to resemble the things we find beautiful.

And perhaps that is why I bore of every male who admits to his adoration for me, who gives me a certificate of their possession.  Because on the deepest level we seek to emotionally resemble, not physically possess, our loves.

Again I find myself mouthing Gordon-Levitt's words, "being in love with someone is not about owning them." No possessions, no agendas, yet all the beauty.

[It's becoming more and more obvious that this blog isn't just a list of "things about males..." It's becoming an aspiration to define the term love. An aspiration because it is that very thing I find hard to describe in words. But every now and then I come across someone that achieves to do so in some extent. The findings of which I quote in posts I would like to start denoting as "special entries." This is special entry number three (four if you count "A Guy That Doesn't Say 'I love you.'").]

No comments: